Addiction is a very personal disease despite the many people it impacts. It is a disease that does not develop overnight, nor does it discriminate against any one type of person. Individuals who struggle with the disease of addiction have their own histories that contribute to the severity of their current substance abuse. Stopping using drugs or drinking alcohol might seem simple to someone on the outside looking in, but for people who are addicted to them, it is anything but. That is why it often takes professional intervention to help those battling addiction get sober and build a strong foundation in their recovery.
The most common type of addiction treatment combines evidence-based therapies (such as cognitive behavioral therapy, EMDR, and motivational interviewing) and prescription medications designed to help treat the symptoms of substance abuse and/or any underlying mental illness that the patient may be experiencing. But for some individuals looking to stop their active substance abuse, this approach to addiction treatment may not be able to fulfill all of their needs. While highly revered and extremely effective, traditional addiction treatment isn’t always the fix for everyone. Instead, some individuals prefer to take the additional route of holistic addiction treatment.
What is Holistic Treatment?
Holistic treatment is a treatment approach that focuses on healing the mind, body, and spirit through non-medicinal practices. Holistic addiction treatment works treat a person’s substance use disorder on mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual levels so that all areas of their being can heal cohesively.
Holistic addiction treatment is designed to identify the hidden causes of a patient’s substance use disorder while also helping them to learn how to cope with cravings. Additionally, holistic addiction treatment encourages patients to stay healthy both physically and mentally, as well as work on improving their self-confidence.
How is Holistic Treatment Beneficial?
Any time a person is addicted to drugs or alcohol, professional addiction treatment can be beneficial. Continuing to use without seeking the appropriate care often ends in tragedy rather than success. Those who participate in holistic addiction treatment are able to reap the many benefits of this type of treatment program, many of which include the following:
Provides a comprehensive approach
The most important quality of holistic addiction treatment is that it addresses all of a patient’s needs. The comprehensive approach holistic addiction treatment utilizes allows for patients to heal on a deeper, more spiritual level. The more thorough the healing, the more likely a patient is to remain sober.
Offers individualized care
Holistic addiction treatment is extremely personal. Patients are inviting in compassionate and skilled professionals to help them identify and address the issues that contribute to their substance use disorder most. This includes therapists and counselors, as well as massage therapists, acupuncturists, and even nutritionists. No stone goes unturned in a holistic addiction treatment program.
Arms patients with no-cost or affordable skills:
Holistic addiction treatment teaches patients that what they have within them can help them to get sober and stay sober. For example, mindfulness techniques are taught so that patients can learn how to obtain clarity and peace of mind. This practice is 100% free and can be done anywhere. The same thing goes for yoga, which patients can continue to participate in either at home for free or at a low cost in the community. By building these internal skills, individuals can call on them whenever they need.
When practices such as acupuncture, massage therapy, mindfulness, and meditation are incorporated into a person’s recovery, there is a marked decrease in that person’s stress. These therapies are designed to calm and refocus the body, allowing for clear thinking and relaxation. This is highly beneficial because most every person seeking addiction treatment has some level of stress that is impacting their everyday lives.
Reduces risk for relapse
All forms of professional addiction treatment have proven to help reduce the risk for relapse. Holistic addiction treatment is no different. As mentioned before, patients who have coping skills readily available to them at all times are more likely to remain in recovery than those who do not.
Types of Holistic Treatment We Offer
- Yoga: Yoga ticks all the boxes when it comes to holistic addiction treatment, as it helps patients improve upon their mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing. Through movement and mindfulness, yoga allows patients to connect within themselves as well as give them a healthy physical activity to participate in.
- Nutritional: The old saying, “you are what you eat” could not be truer for those who are addicted to drugs and alcohol and who do not focus on maintaining a healthy diet. Nutritional therapy helps these patients learn the importance of eating well by teaching how healthy foods can improve their recovery odds. For example, regular consumption of sugary foods and drinks can cause energy loss throughout the day. Having little to no energy impacts a person’s productivity, cognitive abilities, and internal drive to do something with their day. Healthy foods, such as chicken and dairy products, contain different vitamins and minerals that aid in sustained energy. Nutritional therapy in holistic addiction treatment helps teach patients information such as this so they can adopt and implement healthy eating habits in their recovery.
- Meditation: Meditation is the art of learning how to calm mental and physical stress in order to achieve mental peace and clarity. A holistic addiction treatment program may offer guided meditation, which is where patients follow the voice of one person as they speak a specific meditation.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture focuses on applying pressure to certain pressure points in the body to help do things like reduce anxiety symptoms, treat physical pain, level out mood disturbances, and so on. This type of holistic addiction treatment is one that people can continue to obtain long after they complete their treatment.
- Adventure therapy: Adventure therapy includes activities such as white water rafting, rock climbing, swimming, canoeing, and hiking. Most adventure therapies get patients outdoors and working alongside others while they strive to reach a specific goal or address commonly-shared issues with one another.
These are just some of the many types of holistic addiction treatments available for patients. The overarching goal of any type of holistic addiction treatment is to provide a comprehensive, fulfilling experience for all recovering addicts and alcoholics.
Holistic Addiction Treatment in San Bernadino/LA
At Hathaway, we are dedicated to providing all of our patients with the very best treatment possible. This includes the provision of holistic addiction treatment.
The types of holistic addiction treatments we offer, such as acupuncture, adventure therapy, and mindfulness, are designed to treat each patients’ mind, body, and spirit. We believe that no one area of a person’s being should be ignored when it comes to recovery, which is why we are proud to offer holistic addiction treatment at Hathaway.